Wednesday 11 November 2020

Anti-Diet / Christy Harrison

 

Anti-Diet: Reclaim Your Time, Money, Well-Being, and Happiness Through Intuitive EatingAnti-Diet: Reclaim Your Time, Money, Well-Being, and Happiness Through Intuitive Eating by Christy Harrison
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I used to work with a woman who was perpetually trying a new diet and who wanted to try each fad device that came along. I finally told her that if they actually worked, they wouldn't be relegated to small ads in the back of magazines, they would be trumpeted on the cover of Time magazine. I doubt she paid much attention to me as she was very caught up in her magical thinking. I should know, I've spent years of my life pursuing the goal of weight loss. If losing weight was easy, trust me, no one would be fat.

We've all heard the news that diets don't work. In fact dieting seems to be the best way to gain weight, as you mess with your metabolism, slowing it down. Our bodies are very good at maintaining energy balance if left alone. I speak as someone who has dieted, on and off, since I was about 11 years old. The sad thing is that I look back at photos of myself back then and I realize that I was far from fat. However, I often couldn't find clothing to fit my body and ended up wearing women's sizes much earlier than I was comfortable with. Instead of blaming the clothing manufacturers, I blamed my body. Things are much different today, although its still more difficult to find plus-sized clothing that I actually like.

We are unaware that we are surrounded by Diet Culture just as fish are surrounded by water. The weight loss industry has realized that dieting has been discredited and they have changed to “lifestyles" and “healthy living.” Since I've been reading this book, I've really become aware of how bombarded we are by exhortations to eat healthily. Which would be okay if it wasn't designed to drive us into the arms of the weight loss industry.

Does this mean that I will abandon spinach and beans in favour of soda and chips? Absolutely not! The health benefits of real food are not limited to the weight issues. We need vitamins, minerals, and fiber to maintain our bodies and psychological health. However, I'll continue to insist on tasty, satisfying food. I decided long ago not to eat anything that I don't like, no matter how healthy it is reputed to be (I'm looking at you, kale).

Although the book doesn't discuss this, it seems to me that there is a strong push in our society, urging women to be perfect: thin through a perfect diet & exercise plan, contributing perfectly at work, raising the happiest, healthiest children, maintaining a perfect house-beautiful living space. No wonder so many women are so bloody tired!

And just as a final note, I have a cousin who is an artist and sometimes when we spend time together she asks if she can draw me. I've always felt a bit awkward about this and finally told her so. She said the most wonderful thing: “I like drawing you, you're comfortable in your body.”



View all my reviews

With my cousin's permission:



No comments:

Post a Comment