Wednesday 22 April 2020

The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein / Kiersten White

The Dark Descent of Elizabeth FrankensteinThe Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Part of my 2020 Social Distancing Read-a-thon

4.4 stars

I have to hand it to Kiersten White, she really excels at retelling stories. She gives the women in some of the old tales a strong voice and new perspectives. I loved this version of the Frankenstein story, with its reinterpretation of Victor Frankenstein—not just a whiny man who won't take responsibility, but a brilliant and controlling psychopath.

How many women through history have lived (and are currently living) with men exerting complete control over their lives? White made Elizabeth's situation feel so believable! How many women have made excuses or covered up for their abusers because they feel financially trapped in the relationship? Too many. It has happened to a staggering number of women of my acquaintance, despite their intelligence and talent. Gaslighting can happen to anyone.

If you have also enjoyed this book, I would recommend the author's other works, And I Darken (first volume of her retelling of the Vlad Dracul story), The Guinevere Deception (first volume of her Camelot Rising trilogy), or Slayer (her version of the Buffy story).



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment