Monday 27 April 2020

Dark and Stormy Knights / edited by P.N. Elrod

Dark and Stormy KnightsDark and Stormy Knights by P.N. Elrod
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

2020 Re-Read

It's been a while since I was entertained by this short story collection. This time through, I really enjoyed the P.N. Elrod story featuring her vampire PI, Jack Fleming. I've read three of her novels featuring him and I quite like them. I'm going to look for some of Carrie Vaughan's werewolf fiction, too. Of course I always appreciate Ilona Andrews, Jim Butcher, and Rachel Caine.

I find myself re-reading rather than tackling new material these days. Comfort reading in a time of uncertainty, I guess. I'll see if there's any equivalence, but I finally got busy & did some house cleaning today, so maybe I can try out one of the numerous unread books waiting on my shelves now.

ORIGINAL REVIEW

A very enjoyable collection of 9 urban fantasy shorts. I have only read 3 of the authors before (Ilona Andrews, Jim Butcher, Rachel Caine), but I will certainly search out more work by the other authors in the volume.

Of the 9, there was only one which I found a bit confusing, perhaps because I haven’t read more of her work. With the Ilona Andrews and Jim Butcher offerings, I was familiar enough with their worlds to make these two short works quite enjoyable. The authors playfully filling in the bits between their major stories.

If you are a fan of urban fantasy and looking to explore authors that you aren’t familiar with, these collections can be a great starting point.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment