Sunday 26 April 2020

Sword and Sorceress II / edited by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Sword and Sorceress IISword and Sorceress II by Marion Zimmer Bradley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Part of my 2020 Social Distancing Read-a-thon

Life right now is very much about what appeals in the moment. Although I'm not usually into short stories, I'm finding them easier to deal with some days during this pandemic.

I really liked several of these stories and not always the ones that I expected to. I loved the Charles de Lint selection, but wasn't fussed about that by C.J. Cherryh. I suppose a lot of the stories remind me of Fritz Lieber's *Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser* because his are some of the seminal Sword & Sorcery texts.

I can appreciate the effort that the authors went to in order to give their female characters agency and prowess. Thankfully, we've improved at this since this anthology was published in 1985. It's stories like these that paved the way for the wonderful urban fantasy heroines that I so enjoy today.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment