Friday 21 June 2024

Winter Lost / Patricia Briggs

 

4 out of 5 stars 

This is the 14th book in the Mercy Thompson series and I am still into it. My only disappointment in this one was the complete absence of my favourite vampire, Stefan. However, the tale wasn't completely vampire free, as we got Elyna, a lone vamp, unrelated to the Tri-Cities seethe.

I like that Briggs wrote this from multiple points of view. It gives both some additional complexity and the opportunity to dole out more details. This is a Fae-heavy tale and, although I am not as excited about the Fae as I used to be, I still appreciate Briggs' version and her Fae characters who have become familiar. I was pleased to realize that this volume would involve the snow elf who frequents Uncle Mike's bar, aka the frost giant, Ymir, and his brother, Hrimnir. I love when Norse mythology impinges on my urban fantasy. An added plus was the role of my favourite werewolf, Sherwood Post.

If you aren't reading these books as they are published, this might not be the place to jump in. Mercy and Adam are still dealing with fallout from the previous five books, which is a lot. They have assumed responsibility for the safety of everyone within their territory and been turned loose from the official werewolf hierarchy by the Marrock. Mercy has been kidnapped by the baddest vampire in Europe, Bonarata, and brought her Coyote chaos to his plans and life. They have dealt with a coven of invading witches, losing their ally, Elizaveta, who cursed Adam as she died. They have arranged the destruction of an evil artifact, dropped into their community as revenge by Bonarata, who expected it to achieve much more destruction. Mercy, who had been unwillingly linked to this Soul Taker, is still suffering from the wounds that it inflicted on her psyche as this novel opens. Adam is worried after Bonarata made it clear that he is the better brawler of the two of them. As I said, a LOT.

Some things get solved, some things make progress, others get started. I sped through the first reading, then turned to the beginning and enjoyed it with more attention, slowly. This series remains a favourite and I'll be purchasing a paperback copy of this installment for my permanent collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment