Monday 2 October 2023

The Last Devil to Die / Richard Osman

 

4.5 out of 5 stars

This book was part of my birthday present to myself. Yesterday I decided that it was time to enjoy it. This makes two nights in a row that I have stayed up far too late reading, unusual for a woman who is often in bed before 10 p.m.

Osman has created very engaging characters. He also has a sense of humour that shines through the work. I think he's pretty good at plotting too. The mystery is complex but not at all confusing. I loved that the bad guy who got away was a Canadian. Garth may be ruthless, but he was always polite about it.

It was great to see Joyce come into her own, channeling her inner Elizabeth. I also loved the Murder Club's chutzpah as they dropped in to have tea with various criminals and then casually arranged for a luncheon summit including two drug lords and two art forgers.

I was a bit regretful to read in the acknowledgements that Osman is pausing this series in order to publish something else. Of course I will read that new thing, but he also promised another Murder Club book and I will be (im)patiently awaiting that.

No comments:

Post a Comment