Sunday 1 October 2023

Shalador's Lady / Anne Bishop

 

4 out of 5 stars

I did an impulsive thing last night and checked out the e-book version of this novel from the library. I thought it was safe—I like these books, but don't love them. I could set it down at any time and go to bed, right? Wrong! I was up until 2 a.m. finishing it and this morning I am guzzling coffee like my life depends on it. I have therefore bumped my star rating of this book up to 4.

I mean, there are still all the conflicting ideas about magic, rank, and who protects whom. There's still a lot of unconvincing snapping and snarling. But I have to agree with the idea at the core of this book: leadership is important. It's much preferable to have a government leader who actually cares about the governed people rather than a selfish leader who just cares about what they can get out of their position.

Theran Grayhaven proves that he's a complete and utter idiot in this volume. Cassidy has been the attentive, caring queen who found his family's hidden treasures, but he can't ditch her quickly enough when her nemesis Kermilla turns up. And we know from the previous book that Kermilla is selfish, extravagant, and manipulative. Still, Theran invites her to stay at Grayhaven as his special guest. Cassidy has a crisis of confidence and a personal meltdown. Her First Circle decides to move her court to Shalador and leave Grayhaven and Theran behind. A very sensible move.

Cassidy may not be classically beautiful (and I have to ask, why is this point emphasized so?), but she cares for those in her lands. She wants all of her subjects to be healthy and happy. So you can probably guess a lot of the subsequent plot points. What's kind of sad is that Theran cares about his people too. Just not enough to quit selfishly wanting Kermilla to be Queen of his lands.

I did think it a bit exaggerated when nobody at all supported Theran. There should have been a few entitled Blood characters who couldn't see past appearances. I also wished that Bishop had given Cassidy a bit more backbone. I would have liked her more if she didn't need her confidence bolstered by the men in her First Circle so regularly. She should have stood up for herself more forcefully. After all, you aren't a good leader if you don't believe in yourself and your programs.

Apparently this series is growing on me. Now back to my regularly scheduled reading. Coffee cups up to enjoyable books!

Book number 507 of my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project

No comments:

Post a Comment