Thursday 26 October 2023

A Tempest at Sea / Sherry Thomas

 

4 out of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2023

I love this series! I bought this newest volume back when it first came out, but kept finding my library books demanding my attention. Easy to let this volume sit, since I knew I owned it. But I finally decided to shove it to the front of the line and I'm glad that I did.

It is not only an homage to Arthur Conan Doyle's creations (Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson, Moriarty), it is also strongly reminiscent of several of Agatha Christie's works. It reminds me strongly of Murder on the Orient Express, just set on a boat instead of a train. Everyone is contained and they just happen to have a member of Scotland Yard aboard and when murder is discovered, this man is pressed into service and he commandeers Lord Ingram to be his note taker.

Now, Lord Ingram and Charlotte Holmes are on the ship as part of their own investigation and Charlotte is in disguise as she is avoiding the attentions of Moriarty's followers. This complicates things for her, as she follows two lines of inquiry at the same time. Lord Ingram is at once glad to be so close to the official investigation and alarmed that Holmes could be exposed, depending on the enthusiasm of the investigator.

Thomas also looses Charlotte's mother, Lady Holmes, into the mix. Her sudden appearance on the ship discomfits Olivia Holmes, who was finally getting to travel to longed for destinations and enjoy herself a bit. Having their mother show up casts a shadow over Livia's pleasure. Lady Holmes reveals her true colours immediately, and her own stubborn pride and class consciousness lands her in the middle of a murder case.

Thomas writes a very Agatha Christie ending, very cleverly wrought. Hopefully the next book will reveal that Charlotte will acquire Lord Remington's protective aegis and be able to appear in public as herself again. If you have read this far, you will likely be as impatient as I am for a HEA for Olivia Holmes. Thomas gives us a hint that she may get to at least see her beloved in the next installment. Fingers crossed!

I have the Day of the Dead square on my bingo card, but I used my Alice in Wonderland wild card, and abracadabra! I read this book instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment