Sunday 8 October 2023

Earthly Delights / Kerry Greenwood

 

4 out of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2023

I’m still quite amazed at how much I've come to enjoy the cozy mystery genre. It's always a pleasure to enjoy the first book of a series and look forward to hours of future entertainment.

Corinne Chapman is a lovely main character. A divorced ex-accountant who now owns and operates a bakery in downtown Melbourne, she treats the neighbourhood like her own small town. She knows and likes the majority of the flat owners in her building. We get to meet the selfish ex-husband, who sets us up to appreciate the dark and mysterious Daniel, who has managed to integrate himself into Corinne's life.

As is typical in cozies, there are cats. Horatio, the house cat, plus Heckle and Jekyll, the Mouse Police. These three and the baking schedule gave Corinne's life a realistic structure. I think one of the reasons that I have warmed up to this genre is the starring role of independent women who run their lives to their own standards and take no guff. Romance is allowed, but it shouldn't require the main character to radically change her life.

If you're a cozy mystery fan I would recommend you try this novel.

I read this to match the Death Down Under square on my bingo card, as it is set in the city of Melbourne.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment