Saturday 14 October 2023

The Hollow / Agatha Christie

 

4 out of 5 stars

My library only had the audiobook of this title, so I had my first experience of listening to an Agatha Christie novel. I really enjoyed Hugh Fraser's narration. He speaks quickly enough that I was able to listen at normal speed (unlike some narrators who read incredibly slowly). I do wonder how long I shall remember the details, but I thoroughly appreciated the experience.

Christie does her magic once again, giving us a striking assortment of characters to contend with. For the first third of the novel, we must endure the egomaniac John Christow. Rarely have I cheered so strongly for someone to be murdered! What an insufferable narcissist! And he had the nerve to be all sad because his first lady love was a bitch and they broke up. “Poor John,” who married a doormat and then cheated on her continuously! But I didn't reserve all of my judgement for him—I also wanted to shake his wife Gerda and his mistress Henrietta for their putting up with and encouraging his ego. His ex-fiancée Veronica was equal to John in terms of narcissism, so I could cheerfully dislike her without wanting her to be any different. 

I think one of the best aspects of the plot is that several of the other characters have to re-examine their lives and make some changes. The silver lining of murder, as it were. Actually, I felt that the murder itself was just an excuse for complex character relationships. Perhaps that's why the ending feels like a bit of a cop out. Once everyone had been put through their paces, they lose their appeal and Christie just wanted to quickly wrap things up and get back to living her life. 

Definitely not my favourite Christie, but still an entertaining entry in her works.


No comments:

Post a Comment