Saturday 24 June 2023

Midnight Riot / Ben Aaronovitch

 

4 out of 5 stars

***100 Days of Summer Reading 2023***

Prompt: Book categorized as urban fantasy
12 sided dice roll: 5

It is extremely interesting to revisit an old favourite as an audiobook. I found myself noticing things that I had glossed over when I read the paper version. Likewise, I found things that I found significant in paper seemed much less so in audio. In short, quite a different experience.

I now comprehend the general enthusiasm for Kobna Holdbrook-Smith as a narrator. He really shows his acting chops as he tackles the range of accents and genders in this novel. He performs the female characters well, without parody. He switches accents fluidly. I was particularly fond of his version of Seawoll.

Once again, I am amazed how many characters and concepts are introduced so smoothly in this first book. Kudos to Mr. Aaronovitch for his skills in that regard. I know that more favourite characters are still in the offing, but there are all ready plenty. It is always a treat to spend time in Peter Grant's London.

No comments:

Post a Comment