Wednesday 28 June 2023

Daughter of the Empire / Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts

 

4 out of 5 stars

***100 Days of Summer***

Reading prompt: Book with a word that refers primarily to a woman in the title
Virtual 12 sided dice role: 11

I have become a fan of man/woman writing teams over the last several years. Having enjoyed fiction by Ilona Andrews (husband and wife Gordon and Ilona) and Sharon Lee and Steve Miller (another married couple), I was tempted to try this fantasy by Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts. Not a married couple but a talented duo. I unfortunately forget who pointed me in their direction, but if that person reads this review, know that you have my gratitude.

This world is an interesting blend of cultural details. I think I detect a basis in Korean culture, but Mara's husband commits seppuku like a seasoned Japanese Samurai. The names of the noble houses could be Japanese or Chinese in some instances or Aztec in others. It's a fascinating mixture.

The Game of Council that Mara plays so well is highly reminiscent of George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones, which was written about 10 years later. Just as Martin gave us strong women characters acting within a system designed to oppress them, Feist and Wurts give us a heroine who is both smart and tough enough to protect her House of Acoma in this masculine world. Her female way of doing things gives her an advantage in negotiations with the insectoid aliens known as cho-ja, treating with them in their termite-like mound, queen to queen. I hope that these interesting creatures will figure more prominently in the next volume.

For its time (1987), this fantasy book is very female-forward. Mara is fortunate to have loyal soldiers and to have a talent for bending tradition to her will. She finds advantage where others would see hardship. I enjoyed Feist's Rift War Saga, but I like this novel much more. And I am wondering about Ms. Wurts solo fiction, so I may burden my already groaning TBR list.

No comments:

Post a Comment