Sunday 11 June 2023

Fledgling / Sharon Lee and Steve Miller

 

4 out of 5 stars

***100 Days of Summer 2023***

Reading prompt: Bildungsroman/coming of age story
Virtual 12 sided dice roll: 9

Do you ever have neatly laid out plans (first I'll finish this book, then that one) and something just calls out to you, “No, me first!” That's what happened with Fledgling and me. I just couldn't resist the siren call of the Liaden universe.

At first, I wondered if I would enjoy the book, as Theo seemed so young and Delgado (a Safe World) seemed determined to wrap her in cotton batten and stifle her in its political correctness. A warning perhaps about taking all the risks and adventure out of life. But as Theo strives to grow up, her mother Kamele is struggling with a thorny academic situation. Someone has been tampering with the Archives, editing documents, the originals of which are on another planet. Kamele must go off-world to view the originals and Theo is dismayed when her mother elects to have her daughter accompany her on this mission.

Theo, the clumsy child, has just recently discovered dance and her own aptitude for it. She meets new friends and dance partners while in transit and learns to face life and its challenges with poise. A charming coming of age story, Theo and Kamele reaching a new stage in their relationship and setting things up for further adventures for Theo (and maybe a certain young pilot she meets along the way). I don't know how long I'll be able to wait before requesting the next book!

Book number 487 of my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project

No comments:

Post a Comment