Friday 9 June 2023

The Name of the Wind / Patrick Rothfuss

 

3.75 out of 5 stars

***100 Days of Summer 2023***

Reading prompt: Book with the title written in yellow
Virtual 12 sided dice roll: 5

I had to repeatedly remind myself that although a mature Kvothe was narrating this tale, he was telling the story of a child. Even at the University, he was only 15. Young, with all the arrogance, self-centredness, and obtuseness of that stage of life. The book was very readable, but I frequently found myself mightily annoyed with Kvothe and had to set the book aside until my temper cooled.

Despite my annoyance with the main character there was no question of abandoning the novel. Rothfuss spins a good tale and knows how to tell it. Kvothe is a variant on the high fantasy hero—an orphan (although not immediately), unusually talented at a great many things, remarkably good at whatever he sets his mind to. He is saved from being overly perfect by exactly those characteristics that rub me the wrong way. His arrogance means that he doesn't pay enough attention to the right things and ends up hoist by his own petard repeatedly. His self focus means that he takes blatant advantage of the folk who actually care about him. His youth lets him take risks that wiser people would think twice about. He is far too fond of the role of hero.

And yet, he has a core of decency, likely a result of a decent upbringing by caring parents. He doesn't take advantage of the women in his life. He doesn't leave a village to be burned down, though the denizens have been less than kind. He tries to be a good friend, he works hard, and he takes care of dangers to his community when he can. He is a good innkeeper, protecting his customers.

I am intrigued by several things that will convince me to read on. I want to know about his companion, Bast. He is Fae, but I don't know what that means in Kvothe's world. Why are they a team? What is it that Bast really wants? Who is Denna in truth? Does she give a damn about Kvothe? Or is she too damaged to truly care about anyone? This first book seems to be the tale of Kvothe's youth. I expect the next book to tackle the questions regarding what he does with these talents as an adult. How does he end up as an innkeeper in the back of beyond? I expect volume 2 will be every bit as thick, but I hope it will also be easy to read.

Book number 486 of my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project

No comments:

Post a Comment