Tuesday 31 January 2023

The Warden / Anthony Trollope

 

4 out of 5 stars

There is a precept that I try to live by: I frequently ask myself, do I want to be happy or do I want to be right? The upshot of which often has me shutting my mouth and letting others live their lives without my irritating interference. It seems to me that John Bold could have used an explanation of this principle early on in this book. Add to this that you cannot attack an office without necessarily attacking the person who holds the office. You may be sure that the office holder will take it very personally, not recognizing the philosophical hair-splitting.

This novel reminded me of Mrs. Gaskell's North & South, what with the class turmoil in it. I must confess that I was glad to see Mr Harding, the Warden, quit being a door mat and insist on doing things his own way. It is important to live according to our true values, not what other people think. I completely understood his position and would have behaved exactly the same in those circumstances. I must confess that I also was happy to see the archdeacon thwarted and the hospital residents realize that they had come out of the matter worse off than before. Vindictive and classist of me, I know.

I was also reminded of Jane Austen's work, particularly Sense &Sensibility, probably by the complications of Eleanor Harding's relationship with John Bold. I cheered for her when she turned her back on John Bold for attacking her father's church position. One of my few disappointments in the narrative is that Eleanor gets very little page time after the Warden goes to London to see for himself what his situation is. I would have been interested in her life in their new apartment and how she and John reconciled.

I have to say that Trollope can really write. I know that the next Barchester book is awaiting me at the library and I look forward to picking it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment