Sunday 29 January 2023

Magic Tides / Ilona Andrews

 

4 out of 5 stars

My copy of Magic Tides was delivered a day early (I'm glad I checked the parcel tracking info and got dressed earlier than usual on a Saturday!) I did what I always do when a new Ilona Andrews book arrives—I dropped everything and cracked it open.

What a pleasure to be back in Kate's world. This time, we get three points of view, as Curran gets equal time and even Conlan gets a chapter. It's a short little story, but with many of the elements that I expect from Kate's repertoire. Cuddles, the mammoth donkey, is a particular favourite of mine. Kate sets out on Cuddles to rescue the kidnapped nephew of their contractor. She has been firm about the fact that her family must not draw attention to themselves, but Curran knows that Kate is incapable of stealth and plans accordingly. Watching Kate fail at stealth while succeeding at her objective is as entertaining as usual. My only reservation was that I felt the conclusion was a bit abrupt.

Also, I know the Andrews have gone independent, but who did that cover art? I don't know who that woman is, but she's not Kate! Her hair is too dark and she looks about 14. As I read, I kept waiting for this new character to appear. Finally, I realized that the pommel of the sword behind the cover girl's left shoulder must be Sarrat and the image therefore must be Kate. Humph!

Nevertheless, I won't look a gift horse (or mammoth donkey) in the mouth. It seems that House Andrews intends to write more of the Wilmington saga. Shut up and take my money!

No comments:

Post a Comment