Thursday 26 January 2023

Sourcery / Terry Pratchett

 

3 out of 5 stars

My least favourite Discworld book to date. I'm not sure why, as a couple of my preferred characters are here, namely the Librarian and Death. Unfortunately they don't get pivotal roles. I can't say that I like Rincewind very much, but I could get quite fond of the Luggage. An angry magical suitcase is an interesting concept. 

I also appreciate Pratchett's word play. Sourcery vs. Sorcery in this particular instance. I was amused by the theft of three of the four horses of the Apocalypse (oh, excuse me, the Apocraplyse). War, Pestilence, and Famine decide to have another drink after they watch Death ride away. One thing leads to another and soon they are too sozzled to participate in the end of the world.

Who would have thought that one could blunder one's way to preventing world destruction. Rather a hopeful concept really.


No comments:

Post a Comment