Tuesday 24 January 2023

Some Girls Bite / Chloe Neill

 

3 out of 5 stars

Access to e-books is messing with my reading choices! I've been ignoring my paper library books in favour of reading vampire urban fantasy. And I've been having a great time! I've been circling back to series that I didn't have access to before.

I enjoyed this first installment in the adventures of new vampire Merit. Yes, sure, she is a Mary Sue. She's only a few days old when she impulsively challenges her master/maker. Not only does she survive, but she does better than more experienced vamps. Merit has always been strong willed, even as a human. She was turned to “save her life” rather than as a choice. Because she has pointedly made different choices than her parents, this really chaps her. Neill is setting her up as an extremely powerful vampire, whose previous life has set her up to be very resistant to vamp mind influences.

Unlike so many urban fantasy heroines, Merit has a close woman friend, Mallory. This is what saves the book for me. Yes, there's a big focus on romantic relationships, but Mallory and Merit are each other's support system. They are both learning new skills, as Mallory has just discovered her magical talents. So they manage all these changes together. Most urban fantasies leave the main character on her own for a bit.

Of course there is a “love" triangle. Merit is reluctantly attracted to the head of her House, Ethan. He is equally ambivalent. But there is also an attractive Second from one of the rival Houses who has a thing for Merit. He's cute and fun and Merit would probably be interested if she didn't have the pull of Ethan annoying her. It's debatable how much love is involved in either of these potential links.

So it may be predictable, but it's fun and fast. I'll have to restrain myself a bit to avoid bingeing the series and get on with my paper library books.

No comments:

Post a Comment