Monday 21 September 2020

Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet / Darynda Jones

Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson, #4)Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet by Darynda Jones
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

๐ŸŽƒ๐ŸŽƒ๐ŸŽƒ
These Charley Davidson books are always both fun and annoying for me. However, I have to say that I like this one the most of the series so far. The fun part is that there usually is a mystery of some sort to be solved or bad guys to dispense with. The annoying part is Jones struggling too hard to be funny at all times. Urban fantasy has to have its serious moments so that the reader can appreciate the humour later.

I like that Charley is finally realizing that she is actually more than human-with-a-talent. Like all good urban fantasy heroines, she is learning that her antecedents are not what she expected and that being a grim reaper comes with extra skills. I also liked that she & Reyes finally got beyond smouldering glances and actually heated the sheets! Finally! Now there's something to work with, now that neither of them is denying their chemistry and I will be interested to see where Jones takes their relationship from here.

Charley is so much of a smart aleck that she rarely treats any relationship or injury seriously, which I find frustrating. I love the long suffering Cookie, Uncle Bob, Angel, even Artemis the ghost hound. What I'd really love to see is them becoming more fully rounded characters, able to get a bit more respect for Ms. Davidson. I’d also like to know who Mr. Wong is. Well, one can't have everything!





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment