Thursday 10 September 2020

A Murderous Relation / Deanna Raybourn

A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)A Murderous Relation by Deanna Raybourn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

๐ŸŽƒ๐ŸŽƒ๐ŸŽƒ๐ŸŽƒ
I do love Veronica Speedwell and her Victorian adventures! Raybourn has a way of playing with the facts (which she has obviously researched well) that makes some Victorian restrictions seem merely charming and some of them rather sexy, while not deviating from reality. It's a case of needing to know the rules in order to break them effectively.

The author has also learned the important lesson that anticipation is at least half the fun of a romantic relationship. Although Veronica and Stoker had agreed at the end of the last book to become lovers, Raybourn has set out immediately to put impediments in place to prolong the agony. Well done!

A note at book's end indicates that Raybourn has also read The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper and she has used this knowledge to good effect in this volume. The Ripper story is peripheral to this story, but deftly used.

I suppose that this could be described as urban fantasy if one stretched that category a bit uncomfortably. Veronica is a smart, brave young woman of unusual ancestry. She uses her wits and bravado to get out of the difficulties that she finds herself in. Plus, she is accumulating a circle of friends like any good UF heroine to support her in her adventures. This gives her qualms from time to time, wondering if she has lost her independence. All in all, I adore this series just as much as my favourite urban fantasy series and I dread it coming to an end.

I paused several times during reading this novel to keep it from passing too quickly, but I am still left now with a year to wait for An Unexpected Peril. I must see if I can fit in a reread of the series right before the next book comes out.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment