Sunday 13 September 2020

Borrower of the Night / Elizabeth Peters

Borrower of the Night (Vicky Bliss, #1)Borrower of the Night by Elizabeth Peters
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

πŸŽƒπŸŽƒπŸŽƒπŸŽƒ
I chose this book for the International Woman of Mystery tile of my Halloween Bingo card. I had a memory lapse, thinking that she was a British author, but of course she is American. However, I'm Canadian and require a passport to enter the USA, which to me is the definition of international. I also chose it because it was sitting on my home shelves and it's one of my goals to move many of these books back to the used book store asap.

This series has almost as much potential as Peters' Amelia Peacock series which is delightful and humorous. I confess a somewhat greater fondness for Amelia and her Victorian setting, but this one could grow on me. Truly, it was a great choice for the Halloween event this year. It had ghostly appearances, sΓ©ances, hidden passage ways, poisons, dark crypts, cemeteries at midnight, and don't forget the murderer!

There is also the role of our heroine, Vicky Bliss, an academic with both brains and mad research skills. Having worked on a university campus for my entire career, I have a soft spot for this kind of character. Especially since I was a history major and have a bit of a penchant for research myself.

I have the second book of this series teed up and ready to go, as my choice for the Full Moon square. I'm looking forward to it.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment