Friday 4 September 2020

Miss Marple / Agatha Christie

Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories (Miss Marple)Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories by Agatha Christie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

People always ask, “Poirot or Marple?” I wonder why I have to choose. I like them both very much, but I may have just a teensy bit more love for Miss Jane Marple. She may be a bit fusty & musty in her very proper habits, but she's sharp as a tack (as some forget just before she administers a corrective). In fact, she very carefully camouflages herself through talking in somewhat circular patterns and declaring that she's “not clever.” Perhaps not, but she is certainly shrewd. And as she observes regularly, human nature is consistent. People get themselves into the same peccadilloes in big cities and tiny villages. As someone pronounced to me once, you can change companies, but you'll find the same people in the new office, just with different names.

Christie writes decent short stories, but I have to say that I prefer her novels. They just give more room to maneuver, allowing the reader to enjoy her characters more effectively.



View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. I prefer the novels, too, by and large, but her short stories are still better than those of many other writers. I do like them, too, even more so on a re-read. I love the advice of "you can change companies, but you'll find the same people in the new office, just with different names."
    It's very true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And of course, Miss Marple is the perfect example for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, her short stories are vety well done too, I just like to be able to immerse myself in the novels.

    ReplyDelete