Friday 4 September 2020

Bone Black / Carol Rose GoldenEagle

Bone BlackBone Black by Carol Rose GoldenEagle
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

๐ŸŽƒ๐ŸŽƒ๐ŸŽƒ
I'm awarding this book three pumpkins for the time being, but I'll be thinking about it for a while and that rating may go up. I have to say that I have never read a book like it ever before. The chapters were very short, which was what kept me moving. I would check ahead and see that it was only 4 or 5 pages to the next break, and think “Oh, I can manage that" and on I'd go.

The subject matter reflects one of the real concerns in modern Canadian society: Murdered and Missing Aboriginal Women. There are so many of them and their families have very little luck getting white male police forces to pay attention to the issue. Wren is surprised that the disappearances of white men in her community causes so little disturbance, almost as little as her sister's abduction.

It's also helpful to know that bone black is a pottery glazing technique, using bone ash to create a black glaze. Wren has a very unique way of obtaining the bones for her glazes! The disappearance of her sister, Raven, plus some past violence in Wren's own life, combine to set her on the path of vengeance.

This author has a unique voice in her writing, too. Somehow it was both removed and intimate. I had the feeling that I was listening to a story told in the oral tradition that just happened to be transcribed into print. The supernatural elements are treated very matter-of-factly, nothing to see here folks, move along. The least believable part of the novel for me was the relationship between Wren and her husband, Lord. Somehow it was just too perfect, too unblemished, to be real.

For me, the psychological aspect was waiting to see if Wren's deeds would be discovered. Or was this all revenge fantasy that only happened in her imagination? Was she really an Aboriginal female version of Dexter? As I said at the beginning, this book will be on my mind for some time to come.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment