Friday 14 August 2020

Emerald Blaze / Ilona Andrews

Emerald Blaze (Hidden Legacy, #5)Emerald Blaze by Ilona Andrews
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I got my hands on this book a little early, by ordering through the website of a big chain store. I noticed that their “buy" button no longer said “preorder" so I took chance and ordered it along with a couple of other items that I've been wanting for a while. It arrived yesterday and I've read it twice.

Ilona Andrews never fails to deliver a story that makes me happy. The Andrews provide imaginative, complex fantasy settings, excellent action, characters that I love, and just the right amount of romance. The romantic elements do not overwhelm the adventure. I don't know how long they can keep this story line going, but I will enjoy every scrap that they dish out! This will never be “classic" literature, so something in me refuses to give these books 5 stars, but they are 5 stars in my heart.

In this installment, Catalina is settling into her new semi-secret role as Deputy Warden of Texas and into being Head of House Baylor. She is learning to play Prime games by spending time with the evil grandmother, Victoria Tremaine and her efforts are paying off. Just as she is consolidating her position and recovering from giving up Alessandro Sagredo, he is thrown back into her life, complicating an already intricate problem.

Watching a grown up & calculating Catalina is a treat. She can swim with the sharks and cope with the Prime magic users like a pro. Plots are revealed, weaknesses exposed, and secrets are revealed! Is that sufficiently non-spoiler like? One of the major joys of this series is that it doesn't focus exclusively on Catalina's relationships (or lack thereof); the secondary characters get to evolve in their relationships too. If I had one ask, I'd love more detail on those pairings, but I realize that the author's can't overwhelm us with detail. They edit things down to just the elements that move the plot along (because not everyone will be the glutton for details that I am).

When my life gets complicated, I always turn to Ilona Andrews books for comfort and now I have another volume to cuddle with during those times. Covid is making a mess of the publishing industry, but I shall anticipate future offerings by House Andrews with excitement nevertheless. Thank you authors for the capital entertainment.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment