Saturday 1 August 2020

Wizard and Glass / Stephen King

Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)Wizard and Glass by Stephen King
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

2.65 stars

Crikey, this was a bloody long book. And this series is such an odd mishmash of genres: western, fantasy, horror lite, romance.

I made it about halfway through, really rolling along, and then it was just like I hit a road block and I had to go read other things for a while. Makes sense, I guess, if you were to divide this one huge book into two reasonable sized ones. But my Dad always taught me to get back on the horse that threw me, so I saddled up and resumed my journey. I “remembered the face of my father,” even if I had forgotten gobs of the back story from previous volumes.

Why is it that prolific authors at some point in their later careers start trying to jam all of their creations into some kind of closer relationship? Randall Flagg shows up yet again, along with references to the flu epidemic from The Stand. There's even a moment when Roland's ka-tet considers going to see Abigail from that other novel, and Roland tells the group that “that's another story.” And what's with all the Wizard of Oz stuff? Another example of the “everything but the kitchen sink" approach to writing this novel that King employed.

I'm glad to have finished this kitten squisher and be able to move on to other worlds than these! I guess I'm somewhat glad to have read it, but I know that many people adore this series. There's a lid for every pot—no doubt those folks would hate some of my favourites. What a good thing that we have so many reading options available to us!

Book number 373 of my Science Fiction & Fantasy Reading Project.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment