Monday 31 August 2020

Bless Her Dead Little Heart / Miranda James

Bless Her Dead Little Heart (Southern Ladies Mystery #1)Bless Her Dead Little Heart by Miranda James
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

🎃🎃🎃
Not a bad start to 2020 Halloween Bingo, if not what I had hoped for. I must confess that the title of this book was the lure that hooked me. Of late, I have been attempting to keep track of the point in each book where the title is referenced, and I was disappointed that no one in this novel ever uttered those words.

This is definitely a cozy mystery, despite multiple murders. Two elderly sisters, An'gel and Dickce, end up with their former frenemy on their doorstep, begging for help. Rosabelle is a selfish, grasping drama-queen and the sisters are none too glad to see her, especially when her whole family (all three husbands’ worth) also arrive and make it plain that they are not going anywhere. The whole rude selfish clan takes advantage of the Ducotes' Southern manners and hospitality, even after the first death.

The mystery seems to be a side issue in the novel. Front and centre are the bond between the sisters, their growing fondness for the cat, Diesel, that they are cat-sitting, and for Rosabelle's step-grandson, who seems to have no one left in the world once his mother is killed. As is usual in cozies, there is much discussion about food, menus, shopping, and household details.

The author has set things up so that those who are engaged will no doubt continue on to the next book. There are so many books to read and not enough time to get to them all! I expect I have read as much of this series as I ever will now that I've completed this book. I must give it more credit than a book that I read earlier this year, Ghostly Paws. The cat in this one acts smart, but at no point does he actually talk, something that reduced my appreciation of Ghostly Paws.





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment