Friday 10 July 2020

Roses of May / Dot Hurchison

Roses of May (The Collector, #2)Roses of May by Dot Hutchison
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A solid 3.5 stars

I think what I liked most about this murder mystery is that it's not told from the investigators' points of view, or at least not much. Priya, the sister of a murdered girl and potential victim herself, makes a strong main character and she is not going to be any one's prey.

I must confess that I chose this book for a frivolous reason. I chose 12 books this year with the months in the title. This one was meant to be read in May, but covid screwed up my reading plan. Here it is July and I have some catching up to do.

I did guess the identity of the bad guy relatively early, but couldn't be positive until much later in the novel. The author gave Priya (and the reader) more clues than she gave the FBI. I was pleasantly surprised by how much the story went on after the big reveal.

I am almost ready to go back and get the first book in the series, just to see how it compares to this one. It will have to wait, if I decide to do it, until some of my other reading goals are accomplished. A lot of unrealistic aspects to the relationships between the girls and the federal agents, I thought, but in a pleasant way, making me wish that this was actually how law officers treated people. A couple of jerks along the way made things a bit more believable, but still those are awfully nurturing agents. I loved Priya's mum, whom everyone finds formidable. I wish I knew anyone half as tough as her!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment