Sunday 12 July 2020

By the Light of Camelot / edited by J.R. Campbell & Shannon Allen

By the Light of CamelotBy the Light of Camelot by J.R. Campbell
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

2020 Summer Clearance Sale

I've only had this book on my shelf for about a year, so its relatively new in my backlog. I picked it up at the annual writers conference that I usually attend after hearing it talked about in a session. I am a sucker for King Arthur tales, so I parted with cash.

These are short stories & poetry. They may be set in Arthurian Britain, but many of the themes explored are very 21st century. As with any collection, the editors have worked to provide a variety of ideas and something in it should tickle each reader's fancy, though not all may impress everyone.

I found them all reasonably enjoyable, but I was particularly fond of The Prisoner of Shalott by Lawrence Watt-Evans and Shadow of the Wolf by Diana L. Paxton. Honourable mention to Sir Tor and the River Maiden by Colleen Anderson and The Song of the Star by Renee Bennett. Several of these tales show the definite influence of contemporary urban fantasy, something which I will never complain about.

An interesting collection and money well spent. And now I must find my CD of Lorena McKennitt singing her marvelous version of The Lady of Shalott.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment