Tuesday 28 July 2020

All Mortal Flesh / Julia Spencer-Fleming

All Mortal Flesh (The Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries #5)All Mortal Flesh by Julia Spencer-Fleming
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Wow, what an emotional roller coaster! By one third of the way through the novel and found myself weeping, moved by the suffering of a fictional character, Russ Van Alstyne. Not to mention Clare Fergusson. Two people trying to do what society deems to be the right thing and being stymied at every turn.

Spencer-Fleming is merciless in her tormenting of these two characters. They are thrown from one desperate choice to the next with barely a chance to catch their breath. Plus they have to deal with backstabbing colleagues, small town gossip gone wild, work situations out of control, and, of course, murder. All the while knowing that they have determined to part despite loving each other powerfully. So many people would just follow the path of least resistance, but Russ and Clare hold themselves to a higher standard.

The end of the novel is not what I would call satisfying--it's what had to happen, but it's not what my heart called out for. The only reason I didn't throw the book across the room (aside from it being a library book) is that I know there are more books in the series, so this can't (just can't) be the end. And I can't for the life of me figure out where things go from here. How can the author possibly bring these two lost souls back together again?

My only comfort at this point is knowing there are four, count ‘em four, more installments to this story. Can Russ and Clare each forgive themselves? Can they forgive each other? Should they? I'm having to resist the urge to search for the next book right away. I know I have other reading plans during August, but my impulse is to throw plans to the wind! However, I know that anticipation of a much desired book is just as good as reading it! I will give myself time to anticipate the next volume.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment