Monday 27 July 2020

How to be a Conscious Eater / Sophie Egan

How to Be a Conscious Eater: Making Food Choices That Are Good for You, Others, and the PlanetHow to Be a Conscious Eater: Making Food Choices That Are Good for You, Others, and the Planet by Sophie Egan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another impulse read, a recently purchased book in our public library. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect, but it turned out to be exactly what I wanted. Ever wonder which is better, cows milk or almond milk? Maybe you heard all the kerfuffle about the amount of water used by almond farmers? Well, they are starting to use water more responsibly, but even before it turns out that cattle require more water to produce the same volume of milk. Since I like almond milk in my coffee, this little nugget made me happy.

Comparing things like water use, distance that food items travel, how food is packaged, land use issues, etc. You are free to use the information to tweak your eating and cooking habits to suit your own values.

There are sections on processed foods (not all of it is bad) and making choices that match your ethics in restaurants. The book is chock full of useful, well researched information.

My only complaint is that it is very American oriented. The labeling section is useless to me, a Canadian. Many of the restaurant chains don't cross the border either.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment