Sunday 12 July 2020

Murder in the Place of Anubis / Lynda Robinson

2020 Summer Clearance Sale

2.75 stars

The first in the series and I have the next three volumes, picked up at the second hand book store quite a while ago. I'm relieved that I don't mind Lord Meren, the Eyes and Ears of the Pharaoh. And of course, he doesn't serve just any old Pharaoh, he reports to Tutankhamen himself.

Which makes it somewhat ironic when the mystery ends up involving a tomb robbery, discovered by Meren's adopted son who has his own “Howard Carter moment.” There are a very few details that I wondered about historically, but they didn't annoy me during the reading. The author chose a way of writing dialog which managed to both convey the time period, not seeming too modern, but didn't feel as stilted as some historical fantasies.

The mystery is decent and Robinson plays fair with the reader, giving enough information to allow intelligent speculation about the murderer's identity without giving it away too early. She also provides continuing subplots that encourage the reading of the next book. Very wise.

I like Meren as a character, even if he does act like a gumshoe from a detective novel, dressed up in Egyptian garb. I'll happily read the remaining books in my possession.

No comments:

Post a Comment