Friday 12 June 2020

The Dead Travel Fast / Deanna Raybourn

The Dead Travel FastThe Dead Travel Fast by Deanna Raybourn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

2020 Summer Clearance Special

This is the summer that I read from my own shelves, hopefully clearing some space there. During this quarantine period I have been adding to the problem, as I've been on a bit of a book buying spree. This one is only copyrighted in 2010, but was already unavailable except in the used book trade. I spent far too much on postage, but I'm glad to have it.

I can certainly tell that this is one of Raybourn's earlier works. It is well written, but she has improved in the last ten years. Still, I enjoyed this novel, a cross between a Dracula-like tale and a Gothic romance similar to a Victoria Holt story. I think if she was writing it today she might structure things differently with regard to the mystery. I am ambivalent about the ending. I know that it is the result that most readers desire, but I prefer the unexpected and I thought I was getting it until the last few pages. I'm a tiny bit disappointed, but it was still a great read.

The verdict? This book gets to stay, at least until I read it one more time.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment