Thursday 11 June 2020

Night Kill / Ann Littlewood

Night Kill (Iris Oakley, #1)Night Kill by Ann Littlewood
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

2020 Summer Clearance Special

This book has been lingering on my shelf for YEARS. It was given to me by a friend that I worked with at our local zoo—he was a zookeeper and is a devoted mystery reader. I don't even have a reasonable motive for ignoring the book for this long!

I can see why he gave me the book. The author is a former zookeeper and gets the zoo details correct. The mystery itself is a little less professionally done, but this is after all the first book in the series. Plus, the main character, Iris, is a zookeeper, not a detective. I think its reasonable to portray her as doubting that someone is out to get her and not really being sure how to pursue an investigation.

I suppose if my veterinary knowledge was a bit better, I might have figured out the murderer. As it was, the final confrontation was my first inkling and was an excellent reveal. A very enjoyable book.

Now I must decide whether to keep it or not. This is never an easy choice, but I can't imagine reading it again. Maybe that is my answer. I have the third book in the series on my shelf too, gifted at the same time as this one. Perhaps I'll make my final decision when I've finished it as well.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment