Sunday 7 June 2020

Fair Game / Patricia Briggs

Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3)Fair Game by Patricia Briggs
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

2020 Re-read

I'm really enjoying rereading this series. The relationship between Anna and Charles is so steady. They work through big trouble in this novel, but they don't doubt their bond. They are very much a team and as the book progresses, they recruit humans, fae, and other werewolves to assist them in their crime fighting mission. Tracking a serial killer is a natural role for creatures that enjoy a hunt.

I can see why Anna gets cast in the “captured by the enemy" role in each book, but I do wish it didn't have to be that way. However, I was happy to see her handling FBI and police officers with competence and confidence. Anna can charm most folks and has become skilled in using this skill.

I'm glad to see that the cover art remains attractive and doesn't misrepresent this couple that I've become fond of. Far superior to the cover art on Briggs' Mercy Thompson series, which I won't read in public because of their cheesiness. From the second volume onwards, this series has much more tasteful cover art.


ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I’ve finally put my finger on why I love urban fantasy so much—there’s a reasonable plot, but the true focus of the book is the relationships, be they political, spiritual, friendship or romance. And of course, a good plot is necessary to reveal those relationships in all their complexity.

Now, I’m also a fan of the mystery genre and Briggs gives us a good dose of that in this installment, as Anna and Charles are sent by Bran to help the FBI with a serial killer investigation. Long ago, when I had a TV, I was a devoted fan of Criminal Minds and this installment reminded me a bit of that show.

And that ending! Wow! I’ve been trying to pace myself through a bunch of different UF series, trying to drag out the enjoyment like a kid waiting for Christmas, enjoying the anticipation. But that fabulous ending has me champing at the bit to get on to the next book!

Well done Patricia Briggs!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment