Saturday 25 May 2024

A Grave Robbery / Deanna Raybourn

 

3.7 out of 5 stars 

I am an avowed fan of Veronica and Stoker but I must confess that I was a trifle less impressed with this latest installment. The romantic tension is largely gone, as the pair are devoted to one another. While the mystery was good, I missed their jousting for advantage. Yes, they still elbow each other from time to time, there is still humour, but the banter is reduced. (I am somewhat reminded of Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody and her archaeologist husband, Emerson. Amelia throws herself into events certain that she knows best and Emerson lurks fondly in the background, making sure that nothing too damaging happens to her).

I read the novel with pleasure, easily finishing it before the due date. Because there are many more Veronica Speedwell fans out there, awaiting their turn. Now, I turn to the question of whether this is the final volume of the series. The conclusion seemed to me like it wrapped things up nicely. It sounded final. But there are no definite indications, so I guess I will have to wait with everyone else for confirmation or denial.


No comments:

Post a Comment