Tuesday 30 April 2024

Working Stiff / Annelise Ryan

 

3.75 out of 5 stars 

I really like this author's more recent series, the Monster Hunter Mysteries, which inspired me to search out her back catalogue. I quite enjoyed this book too, surprising myself a bit. I'm coming to terms with my new taste for cozy mysteries but my understanding of humour is still sketchy. I often find it annoying rather than an asset. As a result, some of Mattie's antics grated on me a bit. She knew better than to withhold information during a murder investigation for instance.

I felt that Mattie was generally portrayed as an intelligent and capable woman, so I could forgive her frequently acting like a hormonal idiot over detective Steve Hurley. I hope she gets her divorce from David promptly and becomes a free agent.

Mattie is doing quite well for herself, actually, having impetuously quit her nursing job when she discovered her surgeon husband in flagrante delicto with another nurse. (Why did she quit? It seems to me that her husband and the other nurse are to blame and she has no need to be embarrassed.) Somewhat reluctantly she takes the position of deputy coroner and begins to develop a new expertise. Her nursing training is a definite asset and her interest in learning is obvious.

If I didn't have an enormous stack of library books right now, I'd be snagging book two immediately. It will have to wait until I've thinned the herd a bit, but book two has been moved up the queue smartly.

No comments:

Post a Comment