Thursday 25 April 2024

Dead Girls are Easy / Terri Garey

 

2.5 out of 5 stars 

Book 10 of the 2024 Read Your Hoard Challenge

I started this book, got distracted, then picked it up again today when I needed a book that didn’t weigh down my purse. Nothing like a paperback to keep you company in a waiting room. I added this to my TBR way back in 2016 and boy was my life different back then--pre-retirement, pre-Covid… So I'm not really surprised that I didn't like this book nearly as much as I thought I would. I'm not the same person who added this book.

I'd give it about 2.5 stars. It probably would have received higher marks if I'd read it back in 2016. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of good points about it. Nicki, the main character, has had a near death experience which leaves her with the ability to see and communicate with ghosts. Both of these things would give anyone pause, but Nicki has also become romantically involved with her ER doctor.

Not every phantom is friendly and Nicki is drawn into a neighborhood drama, being haunted by a murdered frenemy. There are stereotypes galore: more voodoo than I was interested in and a really stereotypical gay best friend. The grandmother of the deceased woman gets Nicki more enmeshed in the whole situation, leading to most of the action.

I have the next two novels in the series, so I must have really liked the descriptions of them. I'll give them an honest try, but I'm willing to bail if I don't find them better than this one. My dance card is too full to spend time on less than great books.



No comments:

Post a Comment