Sunday 9 April 2023

The Gorgon Agenda / Lisa Shearin

 

4 out of 5 stars

I love Lisa Shearin's imaginative worlds and I am particularly fond of Makenna Fraser as a main character. So I admit to some concern when Shearin moved to self-publishing. I was even more worried when she let Makenna and her favourite goblin, Rake, hook up as a couple. I was afraid that it would suck all the tension out of the novels. I am relieved to report that Shearin can find other methods to keep the plot moving briskly, as this book proves.

Having said that, this book includes the end of the enemy that SPI has been fighting since book one. Shearin reminded me, right at the end, that the evil henchman is still out there and remains a threat. So there are still potential books to be written. Having checked Shearin's website, her next book will be book two of her Aurora Donati series (yay!). I assume she will alternate between the series to keep things fresh. She stated that she hopes to finish the first draft of The Embassy Reprisal by June, so that's fabulous news.

In the next installment of SPI, there will be a wedding (and one gets the impression that it will run along the lines of a Meg Langslow mystery, with plenty of nutty complications and twists and turns). There will undoubtedly be plenty of Southernisms from Mak's family and complications from Rake's. It will be fun, of that I have no doubt.

I am sorely tempted to go back to The Grendel Affair and re-read the whole series.

No comments:

Post a Comment