Tuesday 4 April 2023

Feral / Nicole Luiken

 

4 out of 5 stars

The author of this book will be at a conference that I plan to attend this summer. I like to read something by each special guest to get to know them a bit before hand. This was the only title of hers that my library had, so I requested it.

I'm a fan of werewolf stories and Luiken gives the lore its own twists in this young adult tale. It seems to be aimed at the high school crowd, so it's a bit less complex than adult oriented urban fantasy. Still, the plot was quite compelling, despite Luiken's use of well worn tropes. Chloe is slow in gaining the skill to change and faces issues with the Pack members her own age as a result. However, everyone seems to recognize her as a Dominant, excepting Chloe herself.

Luiken throws problem after problem at her young character. Her best friend has been killed in a plane crash. Chloe discovers a feral werewolf who may be her friend's brother, but he seems to be stuck in wolf form and seems close to losing his humanity. She should be able to trust in the Alphas to protect him, but things are not feeling right in the Pack.

The plotting is good, although the solution to most of the problems seems a little simplistic to my eye. However, I think I would have loved it as a teen. I look forward to hearing this author at the conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment