Tuesday 25 April 2023

April Fools / Jess Lourey

 

4 out of 5 stars

That did not end the way I thought it would. Mira and Mrs. Berns are undoubtedly a team, so that part is no surprise, but I was rooting for Gary Wohnt to replace Johnny in Mira's affections. I guess I should have guessed from his surname, which to me is pronounced “won't.“

Lourey wraps things up neatly, managing to restore Jed to his place in the community (and debunk the story of a Bigfoot in the area). Mira manages to hook up Karen Kramer with the inspector who is responsible for rating Battle Lake as a tourist destination, assuring that he feels very welcome in town. Kennie Rogers uses her mayoral powers for good instead of entirely for mischief (although there are enough pot infused foods to get Mira and Mrs. Berns into trouble a couple of times). All of this while dealing with a sex trafficking ring that is abducting teen girls. The situation is well described and reflects Lourey's concern with the people who prey on women and girls.

Just like Thomas King's DreadfulWater series, I will miss all these townsfolk and sidekicks every bit as much as the main character. So I was glad to read the note at the end that Lourey has written another novel featuring the same crew.

I have really enjoyed this series which seems to be Lourey in her fun setting. The only other book of hers that I've read (The Quarry Girls) just about did me in with tension and angst! Unfortunately I didn't get started until the November volume, so I may backtrack and read the earlier books that I skipped. More Mrs. Berns is always a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment