Friday 9 September 2022

Soul Taken / Patricia Briggs

 

4 out of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2022

I always enjoy the Mercy books that centre around the vampire seethe, so I've been anticipating this novel with glee. It mostly lived up to my expectations—I am a big fan of Wulfe, so a story that revolves around him was a good choice for me. However, my all time favourite is Stefan and he was sadly relegated to brief supporting roles.

There were plenty of tasty tidbits to be enjoyed. We get to learn a bit more about goblins (and get a glimpse of their magic ponies!), Tad gets a girlfriend (if Zee approves), Sherwood Post has recovered his memory (causing consternation in the werewolf pack), and the usually imperturbable Warren meets the end of his patience. For once there is no relationship angst between Mercy and Adam, a very pleasant occurrence. Now I am very curious about the next Alpha and Omega book to see where Briggs takes Samuel, Sherwood, and Asil. She has written tantalizing hints for each of them!

The main course of this volume, though, is vampire history: we learn more than I anticipated about the tangle that is Wulfe, Marsilia, and Stefan, plus how Bonarata fits into that knot. Wulfe's motivation for stalking Mercy, which we learned about in Smoke Bitten, is revealed. You'll want to have that book and Storm Cursed under your belt if you want to have a hope of understanding this series of events.

Once again, this book arrived for me at the library while I was planning my Bingo dance card. I had held out a faint hope that it might fulfill the Monsters square, but no dice. So I pulled out the Tell Tale Heart wild card to use it for this square anyway. Either way, it was an enjoyable ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment