Friday 2 September 2022

The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax / Dorothy Gilman

 

4 out of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2022

Finally, I've cleared almost all of my August library books (just one remaining) and I can turn my attention to Halloween Bingo! Happy, happy, joy, joy! And after a fairly long immersion in Fantasy and Science Fiction, I felt the need for something fluffy and fun. Mrs. Pollifax filled the bill nicely.

Emily Pollifax is so bored that she has contemplated walking off the roof of her building. She visits her doctor, who gives excellent advice: do what you wanted to do when you were young (although he ruins it by laughing at her aspirations). What Emily really wanted was to be a spy, so she sets off to the offices of the CIA to offer her services. Because what else would one do?

There's a lot of humour in the depiction of the CIA (I'm pretty sure actual employees would either cringe or laugh hysterically) and in the role of the older woman (we always get overlooked and underestimated). But since older women are effectively invisible in our society, we would be able to blend in well. I'll be waiting for my recruiting visit from CSIS. Haha!

I had to keep reminding myself that this was published in 1966. The past is truly a different country. Some things haven't changed: Russia and China are the adversaries. As a result, there's a lot of anti-Asian prejudice that doesn't feel good today. But despite that, I was charmed by Mrs. Pollifax and will read on in this series when I get a chance.

A lovely first foray into Bingo. I read this book for the free square, a strategic move to facilitate a speedy completion of a first row!

No comments:

Post a Comment