Sunday 29 May 2022

The Shepherd's Crown / Terry Pratchett

 

4 out of 5 stars

Sir Terry's last book and a highly enjoyable one. It's probably not as polished as he would have wanted, but it's still a lot better than many books that I've read.

Tiffany Aching is called to the bedside of Granny Weatherwax, to see that formidable woman to her grave. Tiff is sad and a bit worried. What will all the witches do without Mistress Weatherwax? It becomes obvious that she is expected to pick up the mantle, but she feels too young and inexperienced. (This happens to a lot of women, who've been informed by our society that we are “not enough" and shouldn't expect much respect.)

There's lots of good stuff here, including Geoffrey who wants to be a witch, not a wizard, thank you very much! And Tiffany realizes it's her call and she can't see why not. Things don't need to stay the same, in fact they're changing a lot. One thing that does remain is the Nac Mac Feegle and their kelda, Jeannie. They keep watch over their big wee hag and are there to fight when necessary (and often when it isn't).

I'm glad that I read Going Postal before this installment, as I knew a little about the railways, the clacks, and some of the cameo characters that would have meant nothing to me otherwise. It's sad to realize that there will be no more Discworld adventures. I'd like to think that Pratchett had plans for Tiffany and Preston, but I guess I'll never know for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment