Thursday 5 May 2022

Fantastic Hope / edited by Laurell K. Hamilton & William McCaskey

 

3.5 out of 5 stars

2022 Free Range Reading

A book chosen for fun, not part of any project, plan, or list. In fact, I purchased it primarily for Patricia Briggs' short story about her ancient werewolf character, Asil. That one was the best of the lot for me, as Asil is a favourite of mine, smart, handsome, and proud as he is.

The other short fiction collected here consists of stories designed to be hopeful. Since I mostly find urban fantasy to be a hopeful genre, I'm not sure how it differs from regular anthologies. There were several stories that stood above the rest, in my opinion. No Greater Love by Kacey Ezell was a great twist on the werewolf theme, from a Mormon point of view. I was struck by the dilemma of a very devout person having to choose a path that would normally be anathema. I was also very taken with Skjoldmodir from the duo of Michael Z. Williamson and Jessica Schlenker. I am very impressed with several writing teams of mixed gender. They seem well balanced to me, and this interpretation of Beowulf is intriguing and reinforces my impressions. I also enjoyed Last Contact by M.C. Sumner, in which I saw significant echoes of Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End.

As in any anthology, there were tales that I found less captivating and one or two of them even boring. But even those have their place, probably appealing to folks with divergent tastes from mine. Literally something for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment