Monday 23 May 2022

Deep House / Thomas King

 

5 out of 5 stars

2022 Free Range Reading

A book chosen for fun, not part of any project, plan, or list. Mind you, it would have been on my 2022 list had I realized it was going to be published! I have no idea how this got by me for five months. Well, I knew that Mr. King had said he was done writing. But I should have counted the DreadfulWater books—I also knew that he had a contract to write more as part of a deal to get the first couple of them republished under his name, not the pseudonym. 

I love the community of Chinook. Sheriff Duke Hockney is a particular favourite of mine, as is Cooley Small Elk. I was sorry to see the elder Moses the worse for wear from covid. But the greatest happiness came from the return of Freeway, the cat. She's back, with kittens in tow. Just as Thumps' sometimes girlfriend, Claire, is with her adopted child, Ivory. It's the supporting cast as much as DreadfulWater that truly make these books for me.

In actual fact, Thumps is a Sad Sack when it comes to relationships. He seems to think he shouldn't have to put in any effort but still be able to enjoy the good bits: the warm home, the sweet little girl, and the company of her mama. He has Freeway to teach him about taking care of mothers and kittens. About being less selfish in general.


As usual, King's sense of humour was delightful. Thumps's internal dialog is frequently ironically entertaining. Could I be lucky enough that Thumps will have further adventures? I'm crossing my fingers, hoping that King will be as unable to truly retire from writing as another King, Stephen King, has been. The words just seem to keep flowing out of that guy, so maybe I can hope the trait goes with the surname? There's only four years difference in their ages, so I have my hopes. We readers are greedy, we always want one more book from our favourites. 


No comments:

Post a Comment