Saturday 7 May 2022

Going Postal / Terry Pratchett

 

3 out of 5 stars

I struggled to get into this Discworld novel. I've been enjoying the Tiffany Aching series and this is so different that I found myself floundering, trying to find the commonalities. I had to push myself to get to about the 150 page mark, but once I made it there, it felt less like wading through molasses.

Finally, I was seeing the social commentary that I have come to expect from Sir Terry. Laughing at the amount of work that con men like Moist von Lipwig are willing to put in to avoid work. Giggling when the greedy businessmen get taken by a Ponzi scheme. Snorting at the silliness of the Igors, the cynicism of Adora Belle Dearheart, the fanatic collector Stanley, among others. Some of them resembling people that I recognize from my own history.

I frequently find written humour to be a bit opaque, but this was accessible even to the humour-handicapped like me. Probably an audiobook would be the best way for me to appreciate Pratchett's books, but I haven't mastered that medium yet.

Book Number 454 of my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project

No comments:

Post a Comment