Sunday 25 April 2021

Every Penguin in the World / Charles Bergman

 

Every Penguin in the World: A Quest to See Them AllEvery Penguin in the World: A Quest to See Them All by Charles Bergman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It seems appropriate that I finished reading this book on World Penguin Day. The author and his wife traveled to see all 18 species of penguins, a journey that I have been on for many years. Unfortunately, I won't be completing my quest, as I think the Emperor penguin trip is beyond my capabilities now. As the author says, don't wait to fulfill your goals, do it now. I'm so glad I did Antarctic travel when I was in my 40s-–the younger you are when you go there, the more fun you will have. I've logged 13 species of penguin and have fabulous memories of birds and travel to show for it.

The photos in this volume are spectacular. I really enjoyed his adventure stories too, relating to some of them very strongly, particularly the feeling of communion with nature that I feel when I am in a penguin colony. I'm told by my travel companions that my face glows in those situations. Who knows what the future will bring, for us or for penguins?

In the meantime, here are some photos of my own penguin adventures.


African penguins, South Africa


King penguins, Chile


Me in a King penguin colony on South Georgia island


Me again, seeing Humbolt penguins for the first time in Chile


Yellow eyed penguin, New Zealand


View all my reviews

3 comments:

  1. Damn, I miss your travels. I miss being able to vicariously see all these wonderful creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I meant to ask also: do you have a favourite penguin? Did any of them stand out to you on your "meetings"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss travel too. As to favourite penguins, I can't choose! Each species is amazing in its own way. Maybe the Little Blue. Maybe the Chinstrap? They all make me happy.

      Delete