Friday 2 April 2021

February Fever / Jess Lourey

 

February Fever (Murder-by-Month Mystery #10)February Fever by Jess Lourey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was exceedingly grumpy today. I have a huge pile of library books, none of which appealed to me. Finally I headed to my own book shelves and grabbed this mystery. Mrs. Berns always amuses me and she did the trick again today. She decides that she and Mira should go to a private investigator conference in Oregon and they should travel on the Valentine train trip to get there. Mrs. Berns is all about booze and men. She dismisses a man her own age, stating that when you take an elderly man to the bedroom, it's like trying to put an oyster in a slot machine. She always makes me laugh!

Lourey has made a smart decision to take the Mira & Mrs. Berns team on the road. There's a limit to how many murders that can take place in a small Minnesota town. Mira gets to test her PI skills outside Battle River and she pays a price for it. I shed some tears at the end, absolutely gobsmacked by the turn of events in the final pages of the book. That was a brave move on the author's part, as somehow that doesn't mesh in my mind with the cozy mystery genre.

Tomorrow, as Scarlett O'Hara said, is another day. With any luck, I'll be in a better mood, ready to return to my normal reading plans without being twitchy about it. But I'm glad I had this mystery lurking in my collection, ready to jolly me out of a grumpy patch.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment