Thursday 1 April 2021

A Curious Incident / Vicki Delany

 

A Curious Incident (Sherlock Holmes Bookshop Mystery, #6)A Curious Incident by Vicki Delany
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This novel was a pleasant evening's reading. Even if Gemma Doyle has fallen back into the habitual ruts of her life. After the last book, with its diversion to good old London, we're back to the small town, the bookstore, the bakery, and to the animosity of Detective Estrada. At least there's less page time given to meetings between Gemma and Jayne in the bakery and less active poking into police investigations. Gemma mostly relies on the basic sources available to civilians. She can go to restaurants, pay visits to acquaintances, and fraternize with her neighbours without incurring the wrath of Estrada or the disappointment of her detective boyfriend, Ryan.

I really enjoyed the 11 year old Lauren's presence in this volume. It gave Delany a way to make Gemma a bit softer, less completely logical. I hope Lauren shows up in future books, if there are any. Gemma and Ryan haven't made any future plans yet, so I assume there will be at least one more installment to get them hitched.

These books are light, fluffy cozy mysteries (which I am usually allergic to), but for some reason I am invested in what happens in Gemma Doyle's life. (Although I do mix up details of this series with Delany's Year Round Christmas series which has so many similarities!)


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment