Tuesday 6 April 2021

A Storm of Swords / George R.R. Martin

 

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3)A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Each time I pick up another volume of A Song of Ice and Fire, I am quickly reminded of how much I enjoy these books! I love all the complicated plotting, the constantly shifting allegiances, and the wide variety of characters. I love the fact that Martin lets us sample life on all sides of the conflict. I think many authors favour one side or another in their fiction, writing so the reader will cheer for his darlings. Martin could have turned me into a Stark cheerleader if he had wanted to, but I find myself rooting for Tyrion Lannister too. This volume has even convinced me that Jaime isn't as nasty as I previously thought.

The Starks do tend to steal the show. Just when you think they're done & dead, they come back like White Walkers. Unlike those beasties though, I am always glad when they reappear and wreck havoc. This volume has so many good scenes and good lines. I've never watched the tv show, but who hasn't heard the tag line, “You know nothing, Jon Snow!” Then there's Arya, counting the men that she means to kill, every night like counting sheep as she falls asleep. And Bran, still out there and determined to find a way to wage war even as a crippled man.

Of course there's also Jon's friend Sam. (Is that a reference to Sam Gamgee in LOTR do you think?) What do you do when ice zombies are tearing your horse apart and a big freaky guy with cold black hands offers you & your girl a lift on his giant Irish elk? You say “yes please" and “thank you very much" and crawl up onto that cervid's back, that's what you do! Sam finds more inside himself than he ever expected to and I became quite fond of him.

And that epilogue! Well done, Mr. Martin! You surprised the hell out of me, but in a really, really good way. It makes me very anxious to read A Feast for Crows, but that won't be until next year, if I stick to my reading plan. Until then, I will enjoy the anticipation.

Book number 400 of my Science Fiction & Fantasy Reading Project.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment